Tuesday 27 May 2014

Holi sh*t

It was now time to begin planning my fashion film.
I began by studying professional fashion films; so I could then gather inspiration and ideas for my own.

The first fashion film I looked at was "Holi Holy" A Manish Arora film by Bharat Sikka. The setting of this film was based in India; with the opening depicting older buildings within rural areas; it is all set outdoors. The lighting is dull in the opening sequence and primarily consists of natural, earthy tones; accompanied with the slow, traditional Indian music, this creates an intense atmosphere. After the scene is set, the film then shows women in these areas. The slow, soft pace of the scene transitions and music, accompanied by the body language of these women allows me to feel sympathetic toward them and they appear repressed.

However, the mood of the film is changed when one of the women begins to throw coloured powder over the others. Once this powder is thrown, the mood lifts. The lighting of the film becomes brighter, the women seem confident within themselves. The clothing the women are wearing also changes; they go from wearing dull, plain, traditional Indian garments, to brightly coloured, Westernised style of clothing. The attention of the other people in the street is now drawn towards these women, in comparison with the opening of the women, were the women almost blended into the backdrop. It is not only the new, brighter clothing that draws the attention to the women, but the new-found confidence and stance in which they hold themselves.

I believe this fashion film, is not only displaying the designers garments, but also portraying a message: the repression of some of the women in Middle Eastern countries, this film is about breaking out of this old-fashioned view of women and giving them rights and importance.

The second fashion film also doubled up as a music video for the band Primal Scream (which is also the name of the film) and was created by Show Studio. 

Although the feel of the two films is entirely different, I feel that they both represent the idea of repression. However, where as Holi Holy presents how it is now and the hopes for freedom from feminist repression in the future; to me the Primal Scream film immediately depicts the act of breaking out of conformity.

I feel that the Primal Scream film is a representation of repression through the use of masks, ropes, thread and needle, and other such devices. However, the reason I believe the film is a depiction of breaking this repression comes from how the characters within the film re-act to the situations they are put in. For example the woman running through the woods; I feel as though she is running toward something, rather than being chased by something (which is a common depiction within film, in a wooded area).

I also feel that the film is about progression. The scene which portrays the feet walking up the stairs begins with bare feet and gradually builds up to shoes, the upward direction of the moving feet indicates positive progression.

Unlike the Holi Holy film; which is very shows very a traditional lifestyle and view point, the Primal Scream video is very sexual in nature: the two masked characters kissing, the bondage theme of rope tying up another character etc. This shows modern, Western ideals; which I feel is also portrayed through the music, which gives a sense of urgency with the pitch occasionally lifting. The deliberate movements conveyed by each of the characters within the film also provides a sense of urgency; it contrasts with the mood that the music provides and as a viewer makes me want the characters to quicker their pace. The similar affect is created within horror films, were the audience is urging the character to run faster etc. However, due to the deliberate and often delicate movements of the characters, it portrays to me that they don't fear and have the confidence to embrace or break free from the restraints. This contrasts the Holi Holy film, were the audience feels sympathetic toward the woman and they seem sad for themselves that they are suffering  repression.

Please click the link below to view the film "Primal Scream"

Out of both of the films, I personally prefer Primal Scream. I find it very empowering and after viewing it, I feel that it inspires me to make changes within my own life that I am unhappy with. Although I enjoyed Holi Holy, I made me think only about those women and the particular situation that they are in; rather than inspire me personally to break boundaries and push limits within my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment